Sculptures by Randolph Caldecott
Horse Fair at le Folguet, Brittany
This metal bas-relief was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1876. (Click on it for a larger version.) The copy of it which
is in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, is terracotta, and may be the
original from which metal copies were cast.
This illustration of it is from Henry Blackburn's 1886 biography of
Randolph, at page 137. The favourable comments made about this work are quoted including
The Saturday Review relating it to the Parthenon sculptures (the "Elgin
marbles") in the British Museum, London, England. One modern authority on
Randolph considers this to be "a pivotal work at the time he was deciding
between becoming an artist or continuing as an illustrator".
For a picture of this sculpture, and the matching illustration in "The House that Jack Built", click here.
For our list of known sculptures by Randolph Caldecott, click here.
For information on the bronze monkey sculpture, "The Tables Turn'd",
some copies of which claim attribution to "Randolf Caldecotte", click here.